Tuesday, April 5, 2016

New Smyrna Beach, Fl to Marineland Fl

Miles Traveled 51.9
Total Miles Traveled 2752
Day 208

I had a sleepless night last night, when I connected my phone to update the blog, my phone rebooted, resetting my anchor drag alarm to zero.  If the anchor broke loose during the night, and we started to drift, I wouldn’t get an alarm to wake me up.  The location we were anchored in had changing tidal currents which caused us to swing 180 degrees during the night as the tide changed from low to high.  The anchor was set solid, and has never failed us, but not having the alarm kept me awake most of the night checking our position.  There were several other boats anchored around us which added to the uncertainty.  Of course, the anchor held fine and Nana slept like a baby.

This is the Ponce de Leon Lighthouse, formally called the Mosquito Inlet Light, located at Ponce de Leon Inlet north of New Smyrna Beach.  The lighthouse is 175 feet tall and is the tallest lighthouse in the state of Florida, and one of the tallest in the United States.  The light emitted from this lighthouse has a range of 20 miles.




“Cat Daddy”



As we approached a 24 foot clearance bridge at State Road 44, there were two sailboats waiting for the scheduled opening.  If you look close, you can see two small children on the mast boom that appear to be asleep.  Glad we didn't have to wait for the opening, I may have had to join them.



Bridge at Daytona Beach, nice graphics on the support pillars.



We see sunken boats every day we travel the ICW.



This is another cool boat we passed.  It would be awesome to have the money to completely restore this boat as a modern live aboard vessel.  I don't think it is floating, but sitting on the bottom.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you were able to get some rest last night, FIL.

Vic.Arghs said...

Great night's sleep :)

Vic.Arghs said...

Great night's sleep :)